Just when you thought location-based apps were getting outdated, the techies come and launch Foursquare. Well, it’s not exactly a new app or anything ; it has been around ever since 2009 when Dennis Crowley and Naveen Selvadurai launched it, but with its new updates and facebook integration, it has received much deserved exposure.
You might be asking yourself, what does it actually do? Well, to simplify things, it’s a location-based social networking website for smartphone. Users “check-in” by selecting from a list of venues that the application locates nearby. Each check-in awards the user points and sometimes “badges”. Location is based on GPS hardware in the mobile device or network location provided by the application.
News and updates:
1. Foursquare integration with Facebook: Users who connect their Foursquare accounts to their Facebook accounts will see a new Foursquare Timeline module that displays recent checkin activity as well as total checkins and top places for the month.
2. Foursquare today rolled out the ability for users to add short personal “bios” to their profile pages on the site. These bios are limited to 160 characters or less, and can be imported directly from a user’s Twitter account or written from scratch.
3. Itunes preview of foursquare app.
4. The top 10 hilarious badges out there: We’ve gathered the best 10 badges that cracked us up, check them out here.
Ways to use Foursquare:
1. Spark up your spring break! Find some lists in the city you’re traveling to for the best places to eat, catch some rays, and party – you’ll have a city guide in your pocket when you arrive, how cool is that!
2. Use it for your university or college : register your University if it hasn’t been already registered, and then check in, hey maybe you’ll be the Mayor!
3. Check out the best places that offer specials; check-in as often as you can and benefit from the specials they offer!
4. Even journalists and reporters can benefit from this amazing app; when you know where people are gathering from protests/breaking news events that draw bystanders to a trendy new restaurant, you will be able to gauge a possibility for a new story cover.
5. Get your Foursquare Photos Automatically Transferred to flicker using Flicksquare.
6. One of Foursquare’s greatest features is the ability to leave tips on a venue. People leave tips about their favorite dishes, things to do, how to get a discount and even where to find clean bathrooms. You’ll find tips like “the Gyro Pizza is the best you’ll ever eat” or “avoid the hot and spicy burrito — it’s neither hot nor spicy.”
7. Coupon lovers; great news for you!! Recently, Walgreens teamed up with Foursquare to roll out a mobile coupon program that lets consumers save money on products when they check-in to any location nationwide, making them the first retailer to offer point-of-sale scannable coupons through this popular tool. We hope more retailers will follow!
8. Foursquare to benefit your business: here’s a very useful video that we’ve found for those of you wit ha new start up business.
9. Great Apps that will elevate your Foursquare practice : Where Do You Go, Foursquare Lists, FourGraph, Agora, Foursquare 7 Years Ago.
Looking for a simple, elegant backup solution?
Genie Timeline 2012 is a new version of the number one continuous data protection program Timeline 2.1. It offers the first metro style user interface; enhanced performance, and added features. Like us on Facebook and Follow us on Twitter for the latest news.